Pages

Thursday 19 September 2013

A Little Jumper Snobbery

Happy Daisy Knitwear Amy Edwards Green
It's Autumn - and one of the reasons why Autumn is my favourite season, is the opportunity for knitwear shopping. I love jumpers. If I had my way, I'd wear them all year round - but this year, summer had other ideas. 
Happy Daisy Knitwear Amy Edwards Green
This isn't just a post for me to show off my new mustard jumper - although it is fabulous - but to comment on the knitwear that's on the highstreet this season. I went out this week to buy jumpers and I was saddened to see the jumpers on display in the shops.
Happy Daisy Amy Edwards Green Knitwear
image credit 1 2
To illustrate my point, here are two examples from River Island, styles that are echoed in H&M, Topshop, New Look etc. The pink cardigan is made from 24% Acrylic, 19% Nylon (Polyamide) and 57% Polyester. Not only is it utterly hideous, it retails at £40.00. As for the jumper on the right, it's clearly having a personality crisis.

I don't want sweaters made of 'novelty yarns' - but if I did, I certainly wouldn't pay that price for something that would spontaneously combust if I struck a match whilst wearing it! Nor do I want 'fun' slogans knitted across the front of them or statement 'ugly' jumpers. I want classic knitwear. Fair Isle patterns, cables and warm Autumn colours.  I was lucky enough to stumble upon this mustard yellow extravaganza in the mens department of H&M - it's 100% cotton, so not ultra warm, but at least a natural fibre. It's a larger size than I'd have picked if I had a choice - it was the only one on the rack - but it was a mustard yellow shade of love at first sight. I don't care if it hides my figure or makes me look like a sack of potatoes, it's yellow which is all that matters.

A ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...