Pages

Thursday 2 August 2012

Look What I Made: Granny Square Blanket.

Happy Daisy Craft Crochet
I have wanted to learn how to crochet, ever since I taught myself to knit a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, it turned out there was something I couldn't learn from youtube videos! I watched dozens of cheery women crocheting like there was no tomorrow, I read books and magazines and how-to-guides and had a few mini crochet lessons with various people kind enough to try and teach me, all to no avail. This was really frustrating as I usually pick things up pretty quickly. However, at my Wednesday Knitting Night at work about a month ago, one of my lovely knitters - who'd been saying "Amy, if you can knit, you can crochet." at every session since day one, sat me down with a crochet hook and in ten minutes, bam! I could crochet. Only the basics, but enough to make the granny squares I'd been dreaming of.
Happy Daisy Craft Crochet
So this is my very first crochet project - a blanket made up of nine squares - each square is twenty-two rounds, and all stitched together. Originally it was just going to be one really big square - but I wanted to use up some of my cheapy acrylic yarn and I didn't have large quantities of each colour, and I also wanted to be able to work on it on the bus, on my lunch breaks at work etcetera - so it needed to be a portable size.
Happy Daisy Craft Crochet
In case you couldn't tell, I am ridiculously proud of this blanket! It's going to come in very handy in winter  and will be perfect for brightening up my flat! I think I'll embark on a granny-square-vest next, and maybe even try to learn a new stitch. One step at a time.

A ♥

6 comments:

  1. OH GOSH! It looks fantastic! (And so do you!!) kxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a size 3.5mm crochet hook, with double knit weight wool! :) (I've been told my tension is really poor - haha!)

      Delete
  3. It looks stunning! I can't believe you made a granny square blanket for your first crochet project, I think I made a pathetic cushion that took me a year to getting around to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) It looks wonderful! I like how you have done big squares I often see the smaller squared ones! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...